Holiday Survival Mindset
It's here already...the happiest and most stressful time of the year. A time for crowded malls, holiday parties, family fights, lots of food, stressful travel, and hopefully a little time away from work - there is always too much to do and too little time. But that's all ok, you can get through it and stay on track. Here are some simple strategies to come out in the New Year unscathed, determined, and ready to take on anything!
- Breathe! Take a big, big breath in and slowly let it out. It's amazing how that can calm you and clear your head. The point is, take a minute to recognize that this is a busy time, nothing is perfect, but that you will be okay.
- Have a Plan. Weight management aside, you are going to want to take full advantage of the stress relief exercise provides. But over the next month, time is going to become an even more valuable commodity. So have a plan and actually write it down. It's harder to break something that you write down than if it just lives in your head. This goes beyond scheduling your exercise too, if you write down what you need to accomplish, you can stop living with it in your head, and just get to work.
- Exercise first. I know it isn't always the most pleasant option, but I will promise you two things. One, you will absolutely feel better for the rest of the day. And two, you won't fall victim to the unexpected yet inevitable tasks that pile onto your "to-do list" throughout the day. Think of exercise like a retirement fund, pay yourself first...exercise first.
- If you miss a day, or two, it's okay. I've seen too many people beat themselves up over missing a day, or two. Life happens. The important thing is that you start where you left off.
- Don't wait until the New Year! I've never been a fan of New Year's resolutions. If you want something, why wait to get started? No one ever accomplished anything by putting it off until tomorrow. Start today. Visualize your goal. Formulate your plan. Write it down. And get to work.
- It doesn't have to be all or none. Doing a little is better than doing nothing at all. Small steps will still get to you to your destination...but standing still can't. The point is, even on the unexpectedly hectic and busy days, take a few minutes to yourself, to take care of yourself. Doing even just 5-minutes of our Yoga segment will do wonders on the days you just don't have time. Tomorrow is a new day. Reset, wake up early and get started.
- The little things matter. Take the stairs. Park further away. Chase the kids. Take the dog on a longer walk
- Enjoy yourself! Because really, if you aren't taking time to do that...what's the point? Enjoy a holiday meal, spend time with family and friends, do it all. A few special days out of the year will not ruin everything.
Happy Holidays everyone!
#bariatricsurgery #weightlosssurgery #weightlossjourney #bariatricexercise #bariatricfitness #bariatricfitnessrx #exerciseforweightloss #metabolicsurgery #liveyoursuccessstory #holidaysurvival